The Heritage of Daniel Haston


The Caney Fork of the Cumberland
Great Falls Power House - Pages 52-62
Back Next

The Great Falls Power House - Introduction

Oil and Gas in the Caney Fork Basin
Oil seeps were known to some of the early settlers.  Geo. J. Stubblefield purchased oil leases from Robert Davis in Big Bottom and others in 1865.

Geo. W. Colbert bought oil leases on Caney Fork near Cane Creek in 1877 and also rights for a pipe line.

At least one oil well was drilled above Hodge Bridge.

A number of wells were drilled in the Collins River Valley south of McMinnville but no flow of gas or oil of any quantity was ever found.

When test holes were drilled for the Great Falls Dam in 1915 a small amount of oil was discovered. There was a very small flow of gas from a rock crevice about 300 feet below the Power House in the late 1920's. The writer lighted it with a match on a number of occasions. The flame was not more than 3 inches long.

Hydro-Electric Power Plants
Burgess Falls on Falling Water Creek - A dam was constructed at this location to provide a reservoir

for both a water supply and electric power for the City of Cookeville.  Its prime purpose at this date, 1972, is to provide storage for the water system.

Center Hill Dam and Reservoir on the Caney Fork River at Mile 26.6 - This project was built by 

the Corps of Engineers, U.S. Army, Nashville Office for flood control on the Cumberland and lower rivers, generation of electric power, and at the same time provides many recreation facilities for Middle Tennessee. When the reservoir is full the water is backed up to the tail-water at the Great Falls Power House.  For detailed information on this project consult publications issued by the Corps.  [See the 1942 map for the map of the area where the Center Hill reservoir was later located.]

Great Falls Power House and Dam on the Caney Fork River - For the first chapter in the

development of power at Great Falls see "Bosson Mill" and for the second chapter see "Falls City Cotton Mill."  The first two developments made use of a very small part of the water power available and that for small mills in each case.

Back in 1898 Arthur J. Dyer of Nashville and a founder of the Nashville Bridge Company began reconnaissance surveys on the Caney Fork River with a view of developing a future water supply for the City of Nashville.  It was not long before he realized the power possibilities at Great Falls.  He took an option in May 1901 [?] on the land on the north or White County side of Great Falls.  On March 13, 1902 [?] the Great Falls Power Company was incorporated with a capital stock of $20,000 and in May of the same year the option secured by Mr. Dyer was purchased.  Charles H. Fiske, the engineer, Mr. Newman of Detroit who furnished the first money, Fielding H. Yost, W.M. Goodlett, Dan E. McGugin and Thos. G. Kittrell all played an important part in the early development of Great Falls as a hydroelectric plant.

Very little was done in securing riparian rights till 1904.  From that date on all the old mill sites were purchased.  Practically all of the mills within the area of the proposed development had been destroyed in the flood of March 1902.  By 1909 considerable property had been acquired and during the previous year the Charter was amended providing for additional stock.

The Search for New Capital

The early promoters now began looking about for new capital.  E.W. Clark & Company took a thirty-day option on the property but at the end of the month a package arrived at the depot which proved to be the abstracts which had been returned thus dashing the hopes of Mr. Dyer and his associates.  In the meantime the Great Falls Power Company had used the option money to purchase additional real estate.  It should be mentioned that Mr. E.L. Tyndale of Sparta prepared the hundreds of abstracts on the properties purchased.  They served as a wonderful source of information to the writer on old names, roads, mills, people and other items of historical interest.

The Bylessby Company Enters the Picture

It was not long before H.M. Bylessby & Company of Chicago took a thirty day option but like the Clarks they did not keep it.  Still more property had been purchased with the money received from Bylessby.  The outlet [outlook?] was anything but bright, but it so happened that both the Clark and Bylessby interests were interesting themselves in the property of the Nashville Railway & Light Company.  When things looked most gloomy both companies again asked for an option on Great Falls and it was sold to the Bylessby Company who a short time later purchased the controlling stock in the Great Falls Power Company.  On April 24, 1912 the Tennessee Power Company was incorporated, which corporation purchased the Great Falls Power Company and began buying land on a large scale and preparing plans for the development.  At the same time surveys were started of the entire reservoir area.  Jim Baker claims to have opened up the 300 foot chain for the first time and helped make the first measurement with it.

The Original Design Was Not Used

It is interesting to note that the original plans called for a dam 110 feet high.  At the "Narrows," where the two tunnels are now located, an open cut was to be made from the Collins River to the Caney Fork.  The water was to be carried across the Caney Fork in a steel flume and then in an open canal across Horseshoe Bend, a distance of 1.5 miles.  The Power House was to be located on the right bank of the river near Sulfur Spring three miles or more by river below the present Power House.  In so doing a total head of 235 feet would have been available; 110 feet at the dam, 75 feet between the dam and the present Power House and 50 feet around horseshoe bend.   Plans were made for high level bridges across the pool and the necessary contracts secured from the three counties involved.

Bylessby Starts Work on the Project

In 1912 the H.M. Bylessby Company put a force of 500 men in the field and actually began construction of cofferdams and excavation for the dam but within 30 days the Caney Fork swept away the cofferdams and all work was suspended and then definitely stopped.

The Bylessby Company had in the meantime made an unsuccessful attempt to gain control of the Nashville Railway and Light Company. E.W. Clarke & Company succeeded.  As Great Falls was worthless without a market for the power the Bylessby people sold their stock in the Tennessee Power Company to the Clarkes and at the same time made a contract to construct the transmission line from Cleveland Junction to Nashville by way of Great Falls.  The line was built in 1912 and 1913.  Charlie Evans was employed in 1912 as the first patrolman on this line.  He lived at Rock Island and walked and rode in a buggy over the line for the next 25 years.

The First Plant Is Built

Things moved slowly for a few years until December 1915 when word went forth that actual construction of a 40 foot high dam was to begin immediately.  Roads were built, a camp established and work pushed rapidly.  Within a year the dam had been built, a tunnel driven through the "Narrows" and a power house constructed of sheet metal and one generating unit installed with a capacity of 12,000 horsepower.  R.H. Anderson or "Cap" Anderson, as he was affectionately known to his men, was in charge of the work.  The plant was placed in operation January 1, 1917.

Capacity Is Tripled

The name was changed in 1922 to The Tennessee Electric Power Company, TEPCo. The use of electricity grew rapidly and as a result Cap. Anderson, Chief Engineer and C.E. Ayre, General Superintendent, again built a camp, gathered a crew and began work in the late spring of 1923. The dam was raised 35 feet, a second tunnel was driven through the "Narrows, a new 20,110 horsepower generating unit was installed and the old unit increased to 15,400 horsepower, a new brick Power House erected, the reservoir cleared, nine bridges raised and lengthened and nine new bridges built. The work was completed in April, 1925 but the reservoir was not filled until October of that year.

1925 - Great Falls Dam & Power Plant on Caney Fork
[Note: This photo is from Mr. Crouch's materials at TSLA in Nashville, but does not appear in his book.]

Great Falls

- 1925 Article Associated with the Two Great Falls Photos Displayed Here -

The Great Falls development was commenced on December 7, 1915, near the town of Rock Island in Middle Tennessee, 75 miles southeast of the city of Nashville.  A short distance below this town the Collins River and just below their confluence a gravity type dam was erected across the Caney Fork.  This dam built of cyclopean concrete was at the time of construction 740 feet long and 56 feet high, with a spillway section of 540 feet and surmounted by a 14 foot roadway throughout its entire length.  Just below the dam there is a natural fall in the Caney Fork River and the power house was constructed below the "Great Falls" to utilize the advantage of the additional head.  Another unusual condition exists at this development in that the Collins River parallels the Caney Fork for some distance, separated only by a narrow mountain ridge, with the streams flowing in opposite directions.  Advantage was taken of this condition in the building of a concrete lined tunnel, 13 feet square and 490 feet long, from the Collins River through the ridge to the Caney Fork.  The combination of the dam and natural falls gave a head of 110 feet for the single 13,000 horsepower vertical turbine installed in the power house.

Work on this development was completed in December, 1916.  Altogether, 22,500 cubic yards of concrete were used in the dam structure and 7,900 cubic yards of rock excavated for the tunnel.  The latter discharges into a steel penstock, 12 feet in diameter and 174 feet long, that carries the water to the power house.  Equipment is of Allis-Chalmers manufacture.  The single runner hydraulic turbine, rated at 13,000 horsepower, is connected to a 9375 kva generator operating at 6,600 volts and 180 revolutions per minute.

In the spring of 1923 The Tennessee Electric Power Company, in order to provide for the ever increasing demands for electricity, began the construction of a 23,360 horsepower addition to the Great Falls plant.  This work involved building 35 feet more height onto the existing dam, making the available head 150 feet, the drilling of a second tunnel through the mountainside, and the building of a new brick and steel power house to replace the temporary structure erected in 1916.  Work on this project was carried on during 1923 and 1924 and the new turbine was placed in service at the old operating head in October, 1924.  The original unit was then removed from service to permit the rebuilding of the tunnel intake so as to conform to the new head water conditions.  The work of closing the dam was completed in March, 1925.  Some idea of the magnitude of this undertaking may be gained from the fact that the raising of the dam and consequent flooding of land necessitated the elevating or building of fifteen highway and one railroad bridge, the farthest of which was located 25 miles upstream.  The Great Falls reservoir now covers an area of 2,250 acres and has a storage capacity of 6,000,000 kilowatt-hours, as compared with 900 acres and a storage of 648,000 kilowatt-hours formerly.

Source: "Organization, Development, Forecasts for Future through Using Water Power," 1925 article from a magazine published by The Tennessee Electric Power Company.  Available at the TSLA in Nashville, TN: V1-F-4, Box 2, Folder 1.

Interior View of Great Falls Power Plant, 1925
[Note: This photo is from Mr. Crouch's materials at TSLA in Nashville, but does not appear in his book.]

The Flood of 1929

Twenty seven years had passed since the flood of Good Friday 1902.  On Good Friday 1929, following torrential rains feeding the hundreds of tiny rivulets in the mountains as well as the flat country drained by the Barren Fork River, caused the Caney Fork River to go on a rampage such as had never been known.  The angry waters, sweeping bridges, buildings, timbers and trees with them, swept down towards Great Falls.  The reservoir level rose above the wing walls of the dam but it stood the test.  The Power House was flooded and the substation damaged but for the first time the old river had met its master.

The Men Who Operated the Plant

Fred Adkins, the first Superintendent, was on hand when the plant started operation on January 1, 1917.  In the fall of 1918 Sam K. Thompson took charge and in the latter part of 1927 he was succeeded by W.P. Roddey.  Robert (Bob) Hash had the longest operating service record, having served as operator and chief operator continuously since the plant started up to the time this was written in 1933.  Mr. Adkins became Superintendent of all hydro-electric plants after leaving Great Falls.

The Men Who Built the Plant in 1923-25

The names of the Engineers, Office Force, Foremen, Craftsmen and Helpers who worked on the project between 1923 and 1925 are listed on the following pages.  They came from Tennessee, Alabama, South Carolina, Virginia, Georgia, Illinois, Pennsylvania, and New York.

Titles and rates of pay have been included to give the reader some idea of relative rates for the various jobs.  The common labor rate started at $0.25 per hour when the job began but was raised to $0.275 per hour within six months.  This compared with $0.10 to $0.15 (per hour) paid locally.

Farmers with mules were paid $0.50 per hour for a driver and team.  All work was on a 10-hour day.  Four to six teams were used on a heavy 10-ton wagon used to haul heavy equipment.  A 20-mule team was used to move the water wheel and generator from the Depot to the plant on rollers.

The Skilled Workers Who Built the Great Falls Power Plant

Name Occupation Rate Home - Tenn. Unless Shown
Able, W.E. Carpenter .50 DeRossett
Addison, A.D.      " .50 Chickamauga, Ga.
Alspaugh, J.H.     " .50 Stevenson, Ala.
Anderson, E.A.     " .50 Rossville, Ga.
Anderson, P.L. Pipe Fitter .30 Walling
Arnold, H.A. Carpenter .40 Smithville, Route 9
Arnold, W.I.     " .40 Smithville
Ault, D.H.     " .50 Cleveland
Baker, J.C. Pipe Fitter .35 Walling
Baker, J.E. Rodman $3 Day Rowland, Route 1      Fine
Barnes, J.L. Carpenter .45 Copper Hill
Barnett, E.E. Rigger-Carpenter .35 Rock Island
Barnett, J.P. Blacksmith .50 Cowan
Barnett, Wheeler Compressor Oper. .35 Walling
Bealdsoe, W.L. Mechanic .50 Chattanooga
Bell, L.W. Driller .45 Copper Hill
Bell, M.M. Drill Helper .35 Culberson, N.C., Route 2
Bell, J.C. Driller .45 Duck Town
Bellew, H.M.     " .45 Copper Hill
Berger, J.L. Hoist Oper. .30 Copper Hill
Blackburn, J.C. Carpenter .50 Morrison
Boling, L.A. Hoist Engineer .50 Benton
Bowls, B.M. Carpenter .45 Sparta
Brazer, Willis     " .50 Morrison
Breding, W.A. Hoist Engineer .50 Benton
Breedlove, C.E. Carpenter .35 Rock Island
Brown, I.B. Pipe Fitter .30 Twinton
Brown, Mark Dinky Engineer .40 Ocoee
Broyles, J.F. Carpenter .50 Sparta
Buice, Raymond Driller .45 Copper Hill
Bumpus, J.W. Rigger .40 Cleveland
Burnett, J.D. Driller .45 Copper Hill
Cantrell, J.W. Carpenter .40 Smithville
Carmack, C.L. Office Mgr.   Chattanooga
Carter, Charlie Rigger .45 Walling
Carter, D.E. Electrician .35 McMinnville
Carter, Wallace Rigger .35 Walling
Carter, W.C. Driller .45 Copper Hill
Cates, Grover C. Gen'l. Carp. Form. .80 Ocoee
Cates, Marvin Carpenter .50 Ocoee      (& Truck Foreman)
Center, William Time Keeper   Copper Hill
Chambers, L.H. Store Room Keeper 150 Cleveland
Chisam, W.A. Electrician .45 Walling
Christianson, Wm. Carpenter .50 Gilman, Ala.
Clark, Doc Carpenter Helper .35 Walling
Cloer, C.L. Mechanic .50 Epworth
Cochern, Edgar Rigger .40 Fort Payne, Ala.
Cockrell, K.C. Carpenter Foreman .70 Magee, Miss.
Combow, J.E. Carpenter .40 Cleveland
Copeland, John Carpenter .50 Chattanooga, 4119 42nd. Ave.
Cotton, A.P.     " .40 Walling
Crouch, A. Weir Transitman   175 East Aurora, N.Y.
Cotton, C.B. Blacksmith Helper .35 Rock Island
Couch, W.B. Driller .50 Benton     (Assist. Foreman)
Counts, W.L. Carpenter .50 Elora
Crawford, M.A. Lineman Helper .30 Rock Island
Crawford, Tullos Mach. Helper  .40 Rock Island
Cruse, J.D. Rigger .40 Rock Island
Cruse, R.K. Carpenter .30 Doyle
Daves, J.R. Carpenter .50 Copper Hill
Davis, W.W. Hoist .50 Rock Island
Dedrick, G.S. Carpenter .50 Doyle
Denton, E.C.      " .50 Quebeck
Denton, E.M. Pipe Fitter .30 Quebeck
Deaton, D.C. Blacksmith Helper .30 Quebeck
Dilbeck, W.W. Blacksmith .60 Blue Ridge, Ga.  (A1)
Dodson, G.W. Carpenter .50 Eastland
Donaldson, G.A. Carpenter Forem. .65 Elora
Duncan, E.P. Driller .45 Quinton
Duncan, L.H. Carpenter .40 Campaign
Dunham, Frank D. Saw Filer .50 Walling  (Blacksmith)
Dunlap, Simp Rigger .50 Rock Island  (Driver)
Eldridge, C.L. Carpenter .40 Sparta
Ellis, J.A.      " .50 Rossville, Ga., 457 Chickamauga Ave.
Eslick, C.H.      " .50 Mulberry
Eyler, Harry Gen. Labor Forem. .80 Rock Island & Everywhere
Finnel, Ira Carpenter .50 Cleveland
Finney, W.R.      " .50 Tullahoma
Fisher, Eston Machine helper .40 Walling
Foote, C.E. Plummer .45 Cleveland
Freemen, T.C. Air Compressor .35 Rock Island  (R.R. Engineer)
Fralley, A.L. Derrick .60 Rossville, Ga.
Franklin, M.W. Carpenter .40 Rock Island
Franklin, O.K. Rigger Forem. .80 Benton
Franks, J.B. Carpenter .50 Quebeck
Fulmer, Paul Stenog. 110 Centerville
Geer, L.L. Quarry Forem. .60 McMinnville
Gilbert, E.C. Rigger .35 McMinnville
Gilbert, W.R. Pipe helper .30 Rock Island
Gillian, T.D. Carpenter .50 Chattanooga  1024 - 11th. St.
Goforth, J.L. Pipe Fitter .30 Benton
Green, E. Rigger .40 Campaign
Green, E.D. Carpenter .35 Quebeck
Green, G.J. Mechanic .60 Greer, S.C.
Green, J.H. Carpenter .40 Walling
Green, J.T. Carpenter Forem. .55 Rock Island
Green, W.M. Labor Foreman .70 Sheffield, Ala.
Greer, J.R. Carpenter .50 Copper Hill
Griffin, R.V. Hoist Runner .60 Benton
Grissom, R.J. Carpenter Forem. .65 Quebeck  (Excellent)
Gross, W.R. Carpenter .50 Walling
Haggard, Ellis C. Payroll 150 Cleveland
Hannley, C.E. Elec. helper .35 Doyle
Halteman Blacksmith .60 Quebeck
Hamilton, R.H. Carpenter .50 Quebeck
Haston, R.L.      " .35 Rock Island
Haston, H.C. Blacksmith .60 Sparta   (Very Good)
Henry, W.S. Carpenter Forem. .75 Chattanooga,  4207 Ave. F
Hicks, N.P. Carpenter .50 Boyles, Ala.
Hinch, W.H.      " .50 Winchester
Hitchcock, H.E.      " .50 Rock Island
Hodges, E.H. Pipe Fitter .30 Cummingsville
Hodges, T.M. Carpenter .50 Doyle
Howard, Hosey Lineman .30 Rock Island
Huckabee, R.M. Carpenter Forem. 160 Lockhart, S.C.
Hudson, Marvin M. Hoist Engineer. .40 Walling
Hudson, R.C. Carpenter .30 Walling
Hudson, Tom Pipe Fitter .40 Walling
Humphrey, James Carpenter .50 Boyles, Ala.
Hyde, H.D. Driller .40 Copper Hill
Hyde, J.H. Driller .40 Copper Hill
Irby, J.C. Labor Foreman 150 Alexandria, Va.  241 W. 10th. St.
Jackson, C.M. Carpenter .50 Walling
Jaco, J.R. Carpenter .45 Smithville
Jeffery, E.G. Blacksmith .60 Gills
Jerngan, C.D. Rigger .40 Walling
Jones, S.J. Carpenter .45 Walling
Kaplan, W.M. Transitman 175 Brooklyn, N.Y., 863 deKalb Ave.
Kell, S.D. Ticket Puncher 75 Spencer
Knox, A.L. Mule Team Forem. .50 Stevenson, Ala.
Knox, James L. Commissary Clerk 150 Alton Park, Route 6
Kimsey, Henry Blacksmith .60 Cleveland
Kirksey, Hugo Carpenter .40 Cleveland
Kimsey, J.C. Brick Mason 1.50 Sparta
Lawrence, A.J. Commissary & Mess Hall 175 Edinburg, Va.
Lewis, J. Carpenter .40 Anderson, Ala.
Lipps, S.M.      " .50 Charleston
Marer, J.P. Driller .35 Walling
Martin, F.G. Carpenter .50 Sparta
Martin, R.L.      " .50 Rock Island
Martin, Green Mechanic .40 Sparta
Mason, Arthur O. Blacksmith .60 Quebeck  (Fine man & Smithy)
Mason, J.S. Foreman .50 Westboro, Mass., 4 John St.
Mason, R.E. Rigger .35 Walling
Mason, Ray Tool House Clerk .30 Quebeck
Marcum, Sam Conc. Mixer Forem. .50 Walling
May, J.W. Driller .35 Twinton
McClure, James B. Hoist Engineer .60 Etowah
McGibbony, Clinton Carpenter .50 Rowland
McCormick, J.B. e .50 Quebeck
McCormick, T.E. Labor Foreman .60 Rock Island
McCormick, W.L. Carpenter  .50 Quebeck
McCoy, J.F. Blacksmith .60 Copper Hill
McKay, J.C. Driller .35 Davidson
McKamy, Sam Carpenter .45 Ocoee
Mcmahan, J.A. Labor Forem. .70  Sparta
McMahan, Milton Quarry Foreman .60 Rock Island
McNabb, Harry Carpenter .50 Cullman
McVey, W.G. Rigger .60 Campaign
Mills, J.H. Carpenter .50 Walling
Meredith, J.E. Rigger  .45 Walling
Mitchell, Frank Carpenter Helper .40 Rock Island
Montandon, Lester L. Truck Driver .30 Campaign  (Was a Deputy Sheriff)
Mooneyham, L.L. Flagman .40 Rock Island
Mooneyham, I.D. Carpenter .50 Rock Island
Moore, Jack C. Mechanic .70 Rock Island  (A-1)
Mooneyham, O.M. Rigger .40 Rock Island  (Material Checker)
Muskelly, J.L. Clerk 110 Doyle
Morris, O.T. (Abe) Transit Man 150 Nashville, 12 Noel Bldg
Myers, S.A. Mill Foreman .50 Doyle  (Saw Mill)
Newton, George Mechanic .60 Sparta
Odell, Algie Driller .45 Doyle
Odell, Elmer Driller .35 Doyle
Orr, J.A. Carpenter .50 Doyle
Owens, G.P.      " .50 Sheffield, Ala.
Owens, Kimsey Machinist .30 Parksville
Patterson, N.M. Carpenter .50 Copper Hill
Patton, Roy Rigger .45 Rock Island
Patton, R.M. Rigger .40 Campaign  (Hoist Engineer)
Patton, W.J. Carpenter .55 Walling
Patterson, M.H. Drill Helper .35 Mascot
Phifer, C.B. Rigger Helper .35 Doyle
Poe, B.E. Driller .45 Copper Hill
Poe, W.C. Drill Forem. .70 Copper Hill
Poe, W.M. Driller .40 Copper Hill
Posey, M.B. Carpenter .50 East Lake, 33 10th. Ave.
Ramsey, J.H. Pipe Fitter .30 Chattanooga, 614 Cherry St.
Ray, Floyd Carpenter .40 Smithville
Ramsey, J.L. Carpenter .50 East Lake
Rascoe, Edgar Rigger .40 Spencer
Rascoe, Fred Rigger .50 Walling
Reams, Chatham Field Engineer   Memphis
Reams, R.M. Rodman 75 McMinnville
Reed, Redge C. Rodman .25 Jacksonville, Ill.
Reed, Robert C. Electrician .35 Jacksonville, Ill.
Reed, Walter C. Carpenter  .50 Chattanooga
Reese, Aaron      " .50 Higdon, Ala.
Richards, C.P.      " .50 Walling
Roberts, H.H.      " .40 Walling
Robinson, L.D. Driller .25 Twinton
Rogers, W.L. Driller .45 Twinton
Roberts, J.C. Carpenter .50 Campaign
Roller, W.M.      " .40 Rock Island
Robertson, J.V.      " .50 Elora
Robinson, Frank  Mechanic .65 Greenville
Rosenbaum, Earl Car Mechanic .40 Twinton
Ross, A.D. Carpenter .40 Campaign  (Hoist Engineer)
Rowland, H.H. Foreman .40 Bone Cave
Rozzell, Frank Carpenter .50 Doyle
Russell, Jerry G. Typist, Clerk .25 Rock Island
Russell, W.L. Compressor .40 Stevenson, Ala.
Sales, S.B. Concrete Forem. .60 Rock Island  (Home - Chattanooga)
Sanquist, A.C. Carpenter .50 Maryville
Scott, N.      " .45 Walling
Seals, A.M. Rigger .45 Walling
Seals, Ed Rigger Forem. .60 Walling
Seals, Ernest Pipe Fitter .35 Walling
Seals, J.R. Carpenter Helper .35 Walling
Seals, L.L. Pipe Fitter .40 Walling
Seals, W.C. Mechanic .35 Walling
Selby, A.A. Carpenter .50 Sparta
Self, C.R. Watchman 150 McMinnville
Simmons, Charlie Carpenter .50 Campaign
Simmons, M.A.      " .50 Rowland Rt. 1
Simmons, M.S.      " .45 Walling
Simmons, M.S.      " 150 Manchester
Simmons, S.S.      " .50 Manchester
Simmons, W.L.      " .50 Campaign
Simrell, E. Flagman .35 Walling
Slack, Tom Rigger Forem. .60 Cleveland
Slack, W.E. Rigger  .50 Calhoun
Slatton, Joe Rodman $3 Day Rock Island  (A-1)
Sparkman, A.D. Carpenter .50 Doyle
Sparkman, Charlie Rigger .40 Walling
Sparkman, D.S. Carpenter .50 Doyle
Sparkman, Herman Rigger .35 Walling
Sherrill, G.W. Carpenter .50 Chattanooga, 501 Boyton Terrace
Speck, Elmer      " .50 Tullahoma
Standifer, W.C. Carpenter Forem. .70 East Lake, 45 6th. Ave.
Stanley, M.C. Drill Helper  .35 Copper Hill
Stenett, V.A. Carpenter  .50 Florence, Ala., 522 E. Tuska St.
Steakley, J.C. Guard 150 Spencer
Still, B.M. Mechanic .50 Barnsville, S.C.
Stone, C.S. Driller .35 Dowelton
Stoval, J.A. Carpenter .50 Huntland
Swaah,B.C. Hoist .30 Walling
Swaah, R.L. Hoist Engineer .50 Campaign Joelton
Swift, E.A. Carpenter .45 Walling
Stebbins, F.B. Mechanic .30  Chattanooga, 1706 Holtzclaw Ave.
Templeton, E.P. Carpenter .50  Quebeck
Underwood, Carl Blacksmith .60 Duck Town
Upchurch, Crockett Rigger .40 McMinnville  (Compressor)
Ward, L.H. Labor Forem. .70 Decherd
Ward, Lester Commissary Clerk 115 Decherd
Watling, J.G. Foreman .70 Newport, N.H., 26S Main St.
Watters, Clarence Hoist Engineer .60 Morganton, N.C.
Webb, L.R. Rodman $75 Rock Island  (Son of john Webb)
Weese, C.W. Carpenter .50 Epworth, Ga.
Weese, H.L. Carpenter Forem. .65 Epworth, Ga.
Wheeler, Luke Mechanic .30 Spartanburg, S.C.
White, A.L. Carpenter .40 Ocoee
White, W.P. Carpenter Forem. .70 Tasso
Wilcox, J.L. Carpenter .40 Cleveland
Williams, Norman F. Transitman 175 Brooklyn, N.Y., 175 Columbia Hgts.
Wilson, John J. Clerk 110 Spencer
Winstead, Ray Machinist .40 Walling
Witt, A.P. Carpenter  .50 Quebeck
Witt, A.L. Labor .30 Quebeck
Wolf, Harry Master Mechanic 250 Marietta, Pa.
Womack, Clarence Rigger .35 Rock Island
Womack, J.H. Carpenter  .40 Rock Island
Womack, J.L. Rigger .50 Rock Island
Wooden, J.H. Driller  .35 Mount Pleasant, Rt. 3
Wright, Robert  Rigger .40 Sparta
Wyatt, J.S. Carpenter .50 East Lake, 26:4 4:st/ St.
Not listed. labor Start      .25
Then     .275
Mule Team & Driver Hauling by wagon
& grading scoops

Back Next