||The Frenchman Martin Chartier traveled from
Nashville up the Cumberland to a point below the Cumberland
Falls so he had to pass the mouth of the Caney Fork.
||The Cumberland Basin was explored by Smith,
Mansker, Bledsoe and Stone. They too must have learned of
the Caney Fork. This and the first note are from Byrd
||Isaac Lindsay and a party of four passed down
the Cumberland River to the mouth o Stones River and therefore
saw the lower Caney Fork. Haywood p. 87.
||A company of explorers explored southern
Kentucky and then traveled southwest to Roaring River and came
to the Caney Fork at a point far above the mouth and somewhere
near the foot of the mountains. The country was covered
with tall grass. No trace of human settlements were found.
The party did find many bones under rocks in the caves along the
creeks and rivers. A stock fort on a mound was discovered
on the Caney Fork. They thought the Cherokees had built
it. Haywood p. 216.
||Ramsey refers to a small party of Delaware
Indians coming from the direction of the Caney Fork.
Haywood p. 109.
||Signs of Indians near Nashville. On
being interviewed they said they had been hunting on the Caney
Fork. Hales History of Tennessee p. 98.
||A party of 20 men went up the Caney Fork as
high as Flinn's Creek hunting. (from Nashville) Game was
very plentiful and the party killed 105 bears, 75 buffalo, more
than 80 deer. This furnished the families on the Bluff
with meat for the winter. Haywood p. 129.
||Colonel Winchester was sent out from Captain
Hadley's command at Bledsoe's Lick to the Caney Fork. This
was part of the defense troops for the Cumberland Settlements.
He had numerous encounters with the Indians and ran across many
trails. Haywood p. 241.
||White County's first settler, John White,
wife and 6 year old son built a cabin in Hickory Valley on a 7
acre tract. It was still standing in the early 1900's.
There was also a 17 year old daughter. The cabin was built
in the Fall of the year. History of White County by Rev.
||Battle of Rock Island at the Rock Island Ford
of Caney Fork referred to by Ramsey.
||Ruben Roberts settled near Horseshoe Bend.
History of White Co. by Rev. M. Seals. (Near present
||Grant 310 to Joe Rhea and Wm. Tyrell.
5,000 acres on Chicamauga Indian Path on the Caney Fork called
by King and Company McClure's River. March 7, 1796.
This was a N.C. grant registered in Sullivan. King &
Company apparently did a lot of surveying on early grants in
White, Fentress, Overton and adjoining counties. Both
Robert and Thomas King are listed as surveyors. They
worked in the above area as early as 1788.
||Rock Martin arrived at Rock Island.
While crossing the Rock Island Ford an Indian on the island shot
one of his companions. Martin returned to his home in
Mecklenburg Co. N.C. and with his family again made the trip to
Rock Island where they established their home. - Mrs.
Jennie Hash Rucker.
||North Carolina to Eliza Williams assignee of
James Perrymore heirs. Land warrant 1523 dated Jan. 20,
1785 granted 640 acres on both sides of Caney Fork 7 1/4 miles
from Roaring Spring. The grant was surveyed by Jonathan
Wood D.S. June 17, 1796. From the description and later
transfers it was located above and near Tosh Bridge or Ferry.
The Ross Family and later John B. Rodgers came into possession
of a part of it. The Roaring Spring must have been what is
now know as Reno Mill Spring.